The 29th of September 1920 saw the establishment of the Ringwood and District Cricket Association. The first Chairman / President of the Association was Augustus Temple Miles, then a Councillor with the Shire of Lillydale.
Augustus Miles was born in Hobart, Tasmania in 1880 and settled in Ringwood in 1910. He was an orchardist with property in North Ringwood before establishing a Real Estate business in Ringwood in the mid 1920's. In 1919 he was elected to represent the South Riding of Lillydale Council where he became President of the Shire in 1922-23 and he was later to be the first Mayor of Ringwood when that municipality was established in 1924. He was to serve on the Council for over 20 years and had involvement with a number of local sporting organisations.
Upon the establishment of the new RDCA competition, Cr. Miles offered to donate a Shield as a premiership trophy and this offer was immediately accepted. Permanent ownership of the Miles Shield could be had by a club winning it three times and Ringwood Cricket Club (known then as Ringwood Imperials) achieved this distinction by winning the premiership in 1922-23, 1924-25 and 1927-28. Later, Boronia Cricket Club was to achieve the same feat.
Mr. Miles was to serve as President of the Association for 5 years (1920-23 and 1927-29) and was awarded one of the two inaugural Life Memberships of the Association in 1927-28 (along with C.A. Hochkins). He also later served as a Patron of the Association for many years.
Mr. Miles passed away in August 1962.
Acknowledgements: We gratefully acknowledge the provision of some information and the photo of Mr Miles by Phil McCallum OAM as included in his magnificent book 'from Paddocks to Parks'.
The A.T.Miles Shield is on display at the Ringwood Cricket Club rooms at Jubilee Park