Croydon

Croydon Park Hewish Road, Croydon
PO Box 461 Croydon 3136
Melways Ref: 50 K4
Club Rooms Phone: 9723 4004
 
Juniors Contact:
Seniors Contact:
 
 

The Croydon Cricket Club was formed in 1886, making it one of the oldest clubs in the eastern suburbs. James Hewish was the first President and William McGivern the first Club Captain.

Initially Croydon was a member of the Lilydale District Cricket Association, but in 1906 helped form a new Association, the Croydon District Cricket Association, where Croydon won it's first grand final. In 1920 the Club joined the Ringwood and District Association, winning the the A Grade Premiership in 1925-26. The Club's colours were changed in 1928 from blue and gold to green and gold.

Croydon's first home ground was in Hull Road, on the area now occupied by the Wyreena Community Centre. Around 1905 the Club moved to the Hall Grounds off Mt Dandenong Road and remained there until 1931 when Oliver Hewish donated 50 acres of land to the Shire and the Club moved to its current location at Croydon Park.

In 1952-53 the first Junior U/16 team was entered into the RDCA. Croydon juniors dominated the competition during the mid-50s, winning three successive premierships.

In 1956 work began on a pavilion which was completed in 1959. The current pavilion, built up from the lower floor of the old one, was completed in 1993. The turf wicket was laid for the 1965-66 season to enable Croydon to enter two teams in the Eastern Suburbs Cricket Association.

1974-75 marked Croydon's entry into Sub-District Cricket with the 1st XI making the finals in their first season. Croydon played in the finals again in 1981-82 before Club history was made in 1983-84 when we won the Sub-District Championship for the first and only time. The team, captained by John Salvado, included three 16 year olds. After a lean run through the nineties, the 1st XI again reached the finals in 1999-2000.

We were Group winners in 1980-81 and runners-up in 1976-77 and 1992-93. In 1997-98 the 3rd and 4th XIs became part of the VSDCA competition. After being runners-up in 1998-99 the 4th XI went on to become South-East Group Premiers in 2000-01. The 2nd XI have been finalists eleven times and in the 2009-10 season, they won their first premiership flag.

Sportlines, Linemarking & Logos

Visit their website

Phone: 0418 740 233

View all our sponsors